A powerful journey from living with an artificial heart to a heart transplant....

Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Happy 6 Month Heart-versary!

On June 21st, 2011 I was proud to say I hit the 6 month milestone. (sigh of relief)

Six months is a critical point to pass from a health perspective after a heart transplant. I felt that I could actually say I was feeling good. It was a rough road but I had passed the worst.

On the other hand, this was an emotional day for me. To be honest, I forgot it was the day 6 months after transplant until something brought my attention back. My heart had one somewhat unusual strong beat. After that, I thought for a moment and realized. Six months ago I was given the gift of a new heart.

I didn't feel like having a big party or eating a big cake. I didn't feel like inviting all of my loved ones over. I felt like this was a time between me and my donor. I've been thinking, instead of referring to him/her as "donor" I would like there to be a name. How about Sam? It can be male or female. I've always liked that name. So today was a day between Sam and me.

There are two things to say to Sam right now, I'm sorry and thank you.

From the bottom of our heart.


No comments:

Post a Comment