A powerful journey from living with an artificial heart to a heart transplant....

Thursday, October 14, 2010

Toronto Appointment

I had a regular appointment at Toronto General Hospital today. They did an echo, took bloodwork, read Vito (my LVAD) and did the normal heart stuff.
Since there are 15 patients with LVADs out of TGH now, they have a regular clinic just for LVADs. The system now includes a visit with the VAD nurse, the cardiologist and the cardiac surgeon. I think it's great because I enjoy all of their company!
It was a nice appointment for many reasons.
Firstly, there are no concerns. The only issue I questioned them about was that Vito has made a few unusual sounds lately. Twice now he beeped randomly and by the time I could get him out to check the controller, he stopped. It didn't quite sound like a battery alarm. I couldn't figure it out. The nurse read the controller and didn't find anything to be concerned about. So I keep myself prepared for changing the controller if the need arises.
Secondly, a traveled to TGH with my good friend and pump-pal from Cambridge and her great husband. I really enjoyed the time we spent together.
Third, I got to see more LVAD patients. One in particular was implanted only a couple months ago and I would not have guessed. She looked great!
And last, but not least, I got to see many people on the LVAD and transplant team. I very much enjoy seeing them, especially when I do not have any concerns and we can have normal conversations.
Big thanks to the hardworking teams at the Peter Munk Cardiac Centre. You are all a huge part of saving lives and making a difference.


No comments:

Post a Comment