A powerful journey from living with an artificial heart to a heart transplant....

Tuesday, October 25, 2011

I'm back!

Alright. So let me explain a little something to you.

First of all, my apologies for so quietly deciding not to blog for such a long time. It's been, what, 5 months? Wow. When I started blogging my expectations were that I would get my heart, share my story about recovery and then stop blogging and return to my normal life, which I didn't expect to be interesting to all of you. Well, I'm sure that part of my life is not all that interesting but I've had a revelation. Ready?

My life is not normal and it will never be normal.

Now that's a revelation. Maybe you are thinking, I could have told you that Andrea. Maybe you should have because I wasn't thinking that way. Now let me be clear, I'm not dead, so let's not under appreciate the circumstance. However, my life has really changed. Not just in a physical sense, in an emotional sense. My all-wise transplant nurse gave me that revelation above and also told me that I may need to mourn the loss of the person I was before transplant. I guess what I'm trying to tell you is that I'm back to share what life is like after a heart transplant. There are some great moments and there are some tough moments. I hope to impress you with what I can accomplish and remind you that transplants really do work.

Before I start writing to share all my updates of late, I would like to thank those in my life that have helped me along the way.

My husband. You have never left my side. You have always understood my challenges and known exactly what I need. I don't know how you had so much patients during my high-prednisone days, but you always came home to me and made me feel loved. I hope to give you back the life we have worked so hard for without the constant worry of tomorrow. It will come. I'm so proud of who you are and how you have embraced life. I love you always.

My Mom and Dad. I know, the better I get, the more you feel that I don't need you. But I will always need you. More than you know. I may not always need you to sit at the hospital with me or to get me my slippers but I will always need your love and support. Thank you for giving me that unconditionally.

Mom and Dad C. I'm so lucky to have such great outlaws. Thank you for helping us through our tough times and most of all, thank you for being there for Shaun when he was always busy being strong for me. I truly appreciate your investment in our cause and the support you give. xoxoxo

Derek and Vicky. I'm so glad you are right around the corner. I know you are a very busy family but I really appreciate the time you take for me. Being around when I need some uplifting and help around the house. We had a great summer at the cottage! I loved seeing so often.

Shannon and Jeff. We have grown closer through this challenge. I've said it before. It's unfortunate we have to go through these things, but I'm thankful for the opportunity it's given me to establish our great relationship. Learning from your strength and understanding has helped so much along the way. I'm so excited for the new experiences to come!

All my supportive friends and family. Just because I can't name you all individually, doesn't mean you have not played an important role in my life. You know who you are. Thanks for being there for me and just showing your support in whatever way you do. I feel so much love.

Enough of the gooey stuff.

No comments:

Post a Comment