A powerful journey from living with an artificial heart to a heart transplant....

Monday, August 30, 2010

Patient or Family Member....

Last week I've seen the other side of the coin.

A very special family member spent some time in the hospital trying to figure some things out. In the beginning he was quite critical and now it seems that the answers are simple. He is being monitored and hopefully these incidents will not occur again.

I've decided that it's easier as a patient because I always know all there is to know. I have all the control. I make the decisions. As a family member I'm waiting on others to give me answers and I never hear it from the horses mouth. So it's difficult to understand what is really happening. I'm an analyzer and I think too much. I really need to stop that. Sometimes there are real answers and real solutions.

I hate to see others that I love in a difficult position. I feel so helpless and the only thing I can do is take my experiences and fight for what I think is right. Is it really right? Well I don't know... but I can do the best I can. I'm sure it becomes more frustrating to deal with family members like me than it is to sit at the hospital waiting for the answers themselves. My doctors and nurses will agree that I ask too many questions and sometimes I don't really need to know the ten possible outcomes or what-if's of a situation. That's just me.

Well my loved one is comfortable with the answers and so am I. I will be there whenever he needs anything and do my best to support his decisions. I'm not used to being on this side, so bear with me.

1 comment:

  1. "I'm an analyzer and I think too much."

    That's just the engineer in you coming out!!

    ReplyDelete